Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Iron (Fe)

I think I have figured out what had happened now. I do know mom was to have 88 mg of iron or Fe twice a day but the week I/we pulled her out of the nursing home they called and said her lab work came back that they had to adjust it to 325 mg twice a day. The Dr. called the pharmacy with her prescriptions, that weekend. I told the Dr. she had just had her iron upped but many things did not agree. When I took her 2 weeks later they had moved the appointment and confirmed things by phone call.

The pharmacy had only sold me 50 mg tablets! With 8 other prescriptions the time and the 3 hour hassle I had I did not check them over, just a couple of them that were right. So while the office just checked her lab work on April 6, 2007. They called me on 8 April 2007 while I was in MI, with my aunt saying it was low. I was shocked since she was on 325 mg twice a day. They wanted her stool test to see if she was loosing they iron there.

So while dropping her off yesterday I caught the problem as her care taker, Bonnie and I talked. Since there were 45 mg tablets & 50 mg tablets for her. We choose to use them before getting more. So she will be getting 5 iron tablets (3x50 mg +2x45 mg=240 mg) three times a day. Then the Dr. wants her checked in 8 weeks. I plan to pick her up the 325 mg tablets as soon. I wonder if this will help her to become more alert again. One can only hope. I am a little surprised the nurse for the long term insurance did not catch it though. We learn as we live.

No comments: